Scientific Synonym - Fragaria
Native to - originated in Europe in the 18th century. Most countries developed their own varieties during the 19th century,
They are grown throughout most of the United States and Canada; in European countries, including France, Italy, the United Kingdom, Bulgaria, and Poland; in southern and eastern Africa; in New Zealand and Australia; and also in Japan
Rich Source of - Strawberries have higher levels of vitamin c, fiber, folate and potassium than most other fruits like bananas, apples and even oranges
Tastes like - Tempting looks, tastes sweet
Propagation - It isn't necessary to grow strawberries from seed. Strawberries take care of propagating themselves admirably by sending out runners or daughter plants that root nearby.
Interesting Facts -
- Strawberry fruits are aggregates made up of several small fruits, each with one seed called an achene. The flesh of the strawberry is actually an enlarged receptacle, non-reproductive material Technically its not a fruit, its a false fruit.
- It is the only fruit in the world with seeds on the outside rather than the inside.
- They are extensively used in food stuffs ice-creams, jams, jellies, squashes, syrups, confectioneries, bakeries, chocolates and even medicines for their extraordinarily rich flavor, taste and color.
- It is a famous saying in India that a serving of any fruit a day will remove the rust from the joints.
- The strawberry preserve tastes just awesome.
Sought by Birds - Finch, lavender etc
Availability - April to June
Health Benefits -
- Antioxidants fight free radical and rid the blood of harmful toxins. Free radicals damage cells and cause most types of cancer. A daily intake of strawberries is seen to have remarkably brought down the growth of cancerous cells.
- strawberries help slow the decline of age-related loss of cognitive and motor skills. The nutrients in strawberries nourish brain cells increasing brain health and function. It is a very common observation that old people tend to lose their memory and control over their activities, limbs etc. This is because of aging of their brain and the nervous system. The vitamin-C and the phytochemicals in them neutralize the effect of these oxidants and also rejuvenate the system. One more thing, strawberries are rich in iodine too, which is very helpful for proper functioning of the brain and nervous system.
- Strawberries can be used to remove tartar in two ways. You can eat them, which is what most people will do, or you can cut them in half and rub them across your teeth.The acid in strawberries is extremely effective at dissolving the tartar. Aside from removing the tartar on your teeth, the acids dramatically improve gum health.
- Supplementing strawberries into your diet is recommended for rheumatism, gout, and catarhh. They are also recommended for health problems such as high blood pressure, constipation, and the flu.
- Fight against vision defects such as drying up of eyes, degeneration of optical nerves, Macular degeneration.
- High fiber, Folate, no fats and high anti oxidants such as vitamin-C and those phytochemicals (Flavonoids) together form an ideal cardiac health pack, as they effectively reduce cholesterol. Some of the members of the vitamin-B family present in strawberries also strengthen the cardiac muscles and help better functioning of the heart.
- Folate is known to protect from birth-defects. Vitamin-C effectively prevents from infections and cold. The phytonutrients also have anti inflammatory properties.